Header Ads

Half An Engineer

             
It’s been two years since I joined the BTECH course and I couldn’t realize how fast the time flew. Undoubtedly these 2 years are my best years till date. This might be the reason that I couldn’t keep the track of time.
Now I’m done with my 4th semester examinations.  They were “just ok”. I was neither disappointed nor contended with the way I dealt with them. I’m not even worried about the result either. I hope my marks sheet will show some good numbers, but if the unexpected happens I’m ready to accept it without any fuss.

Now finally I have some time to look back at those 2 beautiful years in my college life. I just wanna compare the “PRESENT ME” with the “PAST ME”. Obviously no one will be the same person after two years. There will be many changes personally. Either be it good or bad, there will be changes.

Being an engineer was not one of the options, it was the only option for me. I don’t say I chose to be an engineer. I was not sure whether I will survive this difficult stream of study. But from my first year of instruction I was comfortable with the subjects. I felt myself like at home. Some subjects were irritating and some were very interesting. On the whole theoretically speaking I was gaining knowledge. I’m not sure whether the amount of knowledge I’m acquiring will help me to compete with the real world at this point of time.
During my schooling I remember myself paying attention to whatever teachers say. I was not confident of understanding a chapter without teachers help. But now times changed. Now I feel that there’s a minimal role of lecturer in my process of learning. I’m not saying, lecturers are not important for me rather I’m trying to make a point that their importance has decreased by some amount at least in my case. I’m not trying to be arrogant but I’m sure some of the engineering students reading this will agree with me.

When I joined this course I made my mind that having a good time, making some good new friends was important  when compared to studies.( “I know I may screw up my studies which I didn’t :P”). I found some good friends luckily with whom I have some worth remembering memories. Equally I had my share of low times with them. This was the time where I was learning or rather improving myself. Some experiences make you a better person.  You will be certainly affected by the friends you make. Be it good or bad. Luckily I don’t have much of a spoiled people around me.  This doesn’t mean they are not cool. They are cool in their own ways.  I’m not satisfied with the amount of hard work I put into my two years of engineering but I’m happy with the fact that I made some good friends.

Engineering will not only teach you the technical skills but also it imbibes soft skills which are very much essential. This is very much true in my case.  As a kid I was someone who will sit in the last bench, having less number of friends, who doesn’t interact much. To be frank I was timid. Engineering forced me to change myself for my own good. You have to interact with people in engineering to learn new stuff, to participate in the college activities, many group activities etc.. This is the one big change that engineering brought in me.


Thus these two years brought many changes in me at a personal level. Now if I start thinking about my future, I’m literally clueless. I don’t know what I want.  It’s very scary to realize that I don’t have a proper future plan about my career at this point of time. Hopefully I will figure out what I’m expecting from my future and work accordingly.

Next thought that comes into my mind is” how will be my next two years of engineering”?
Obviously I want them to be even better. I want to give much more importance to acquiring knowledge, complimented with the practical application of knowledge I acquired. This is the difficult part which can’t be realized without hard work and smart work. These two were clearly missing in my first two years of engineering.  I don’t want to miss out on spending some quality time with friends, watching movies, tasting different dishes etc.. Thus I have to find a good balance between studies and entertainment in these coming two years.

I have read somewhere about the 3X’S. Xperience, Xperiment and Xpectation. My first two years of engineering is an xperience. Coming two years is an xperiment.  Hopefully I’ll perform the xperiment successfully keeping in mind the xperience  I gained and reach my xpectations.

I’m half an engineer now. Two years are in my hand to transform myself into a complete engineer.

Hopefully when someone asks me what are you doing? I should be in a position to say “TRUST ME, I’M AN ENGINEER” without of any second thought.







No comments